Total online: 1
Your shopping cart is empty
|Main » Articles » My articles|
Mummies are preserved dead bodies of people to prepare them for the after life.
Ancient Egypt practiced mummification because it was important to their religious belief. Mummification could take up to 70 long days to complete. The ancient Egyptians believed that there is life after death also known as the after life. They also believed that by preserving the body they could use it for the after life. The Egyptians believed that when they die, they will journey to another world to live a new life and that they would need all the things in this life to live a successful after life which include games, food, and most importantly their bodies. Egyptians paid large amounts of money to get their bodies mummified.
As I earlier said it took a long time to start and complete the process. It took about 70 long days to embalm a body. The priest wears the head of a jackal representing the god Anubis. The processes are as follows
1. The body was washed and purified
2. Organs were removed except the heart
3. The body was filled with stuffing which could either be cotton wool or shreds of clothes.
4. The body was dried by covering it with a substance called NATRON
5. After 40-50 days, the stuffing was removed an d replaced with linen or sawdust
6. the body was covered in a sheet of shroud and wrapped with linen.
7. the body is placed in a stone coffin called sarcophagus.
A natron is a natural salt that contains sodium carbonate and sodium bi carbonates and traces of potassium and its function is to speedily dry up the body fluids
The Egyptians believed that the heart was the centre of intelligence and that it was used for judgment so they decided to mummify it along with the body. The Egyptians were buried along with their belongings and pictures of their life was painted on the walls of their tomb and canopic jars were used to hold the remains of the mummified body.
Anubis is the known as the god of mummification and in our next article we shall talk more on the god anubis.
|Views: 134 | Rating: 0.0/0|
|Total comments: 0|